Mike:
Not necessarily...
I have an ancestor listed on a stone complete with dates. The only problem is that the actual burial records say the he wasn't buried there...and all the spots are full! For all I know this guy is still roaming Alaska looking for gold!The inscription is nice but can be meaningless. All I know from oral history is that they found out in the morning that he died and had a real good party that night...and those reports are probably just as accurate as that Memorial inscription...
Kathy
... although finding a tombstone would certainly serve as a confirmation of that source!