On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:58:01 -0400, SgtBob <s...@cox.net> wrote:

>Dennis - When I set up my paper source filing system to support my digital
>files, I numbered master sources with  9000 series.  i.e., 9212 might be
>'Marriage License in Dead Center, Kansas'. Then I might assign 9030 as the
>Master source for Joe and Susie who married in said location, but filed their
>marriage license as 3211-1, 321 being their MRIN. This works for me - whether
>acceptable to others , I don't know.
>
>Now, the problem is that I did not recognize by moving my file to another PC
>via GEDCOM, I failed to recognize that  MRIN 3211 might now become MRIN 4401
>because of the renumbering. So, my 'FileID' of 3211-1 now does not allow me to
>find Joe and Susie by entering MRIN 3211 in the search field because 3211 is
>now assigned to Sam and Martha.
>
>I am seeking reassurance that if I change the MRIN from 3211-1 to the MRIN of
>Joe and Susie in the re-numbered system via Access, can I enter their new MRIN
>of 5617-1 in lieu of 3211-1 in table tblSX field "FilingRef" (the15th field)
>as proposed by Jennie and Valerie? Can I then save the .fdb file and open it
>in Legacy and find that the change took place as I would like.  I porpose to
>do as they suggested for a test case, but would appreciate feedback
>
>I realize you basically asked for the time and I described how to make a
>watch. It is hard to write the problem and hope that the question is lucid.
>:-)  I suppose experimentation is what I need to do - just needed some
>guidance from folks more acquainted with the Access package than I.

Bob:

Your explanation is still confusing. You speak of MRINs like 3211-1.
MRINs can't have dashes.

Please give a very specific example (see below) or just go ahead and
experiment on a copy of your database. The others were correct in that
tblSX.FilingRef is the File ID.

A specific example might be something like:

Joe & Susie had MRIN 3211 before. After importing into a new file via
GEDCOM they were assigned MRIN 5617. All of their records are filed
under 3211-nnn which I entered in field(s) __________. I would like to
__________ (fill in the blanks).

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't have a clear understanding of where
you are and where you want to go.

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools