My apologies for the blank message. Not sure how that happened.

What I was trying to say was that when you're looking at the chart in Legacy
Charting, use the tray of icons on the left hand side. With the arrow tool
selected (not the hand tool, etc), select the little tree icon where the top
half of the tree is highlighted in red. Now, when you click on a person and
drag, the people under him/her will move with him/her. Select every other
sibling and drag them down, for example, and you'll be able to cut the width by
about half. Depending on how many generations down it goes, this should be able
to solve your problem.
-Patti