Jeff
If you do the sizing first then you may not need to do as much dragging. Carefully selecting where you drag can avoid the "weird" connecting lines. However, if the chart is too large, requiring a great deal of compression, to fit on a single page, this may be impossible. You need to experiment a bit. It is great fun!
Judy

Jeff wrote

Thanks. But when you drag the boxes the connecting lines go into weird angles and as far as I can see there seems no way to change them - or is there and I have not found out how?

Jeff

Not only can you drag the boxes but you can use the sizing function under the Appearance tab. You can then change the size of the boxes, the distance between generations and the closeness of the boxes. This function with the dragging options allows you great flexibility in fitting your chart to the size and shape required.
Judy