It could be a registry problem on Tom's system.
I seem to rember I had some problems when I had both adobe reader 9
and adobe acrobat 8 (standard) installed. Don't know how I fixed this
(probably by correcting this in the registry or by uninsstalling all
programs acrobat and legacy and check in the registry if everything
was ok, I probably also run CCleaner to clean the registry).
Also user rights to open files from certain folders could be a
problem. To see if this is the problem attach a pdf file from the
correct user documents folder and try to open this pdf file to see if
that works ok.
Evert