Many ways to do this. Personally my preference is to pick the first adoptive family (in case there were more than one adoption), and use the surname of the adopted family. If / when I discover the birth surname, I add it to notes. As his / her name changes with adoptions, I so note it. Sometimes they didn't change, the person kept the surname of his / her earlier adopted parents. Someone else surely will chime in with their idea, but my suggestion is to decide what is most useful for *you* and pick that. Stick with it to be consistent.

Robert