I deleted all the data files (except the backups) and removed it from my
hard drive.  Then I decided to just restore my system from about a week ago
and start over from scratch.  I'm going to import a GEDCOM and hope the
image links don't transfer.  I'd prefer to just relink them myself.

I think the problem might have started when I used The Master Genealogist to
import my FTM2009 file which reads FTM files without going the GEDCOM route.
I wish other software would do the same because GEDCOMs cut off a lot of
text in long sentences.  From FTM I exported another GEDCOM for Legacy to
read.  I don't trust using any previous backups since there might be
corruption problems in them as well.

I think some junk must have been included in the file that caused Legacy to
go crazy.  I'm not doing it that way this time, but because FTM2009 has it's
own issues I'm afraid I'm going to be stuck using it if Legacy decides to
keep crashing.  FTM2009/2010 will not give you a reasonable option for
exporting your entire file to a format other than it's own which is why it
is so limited.

I also understand that Legacy does not embed images.  I do not embed my
images and never have.  They are all external and always have been.
However, they are all in custom folders under one main folder.  Source
images are not mixed with photos of people or tombstones.  All these
genealogy programs want to put everything in one place so you have to sift
through thousands of images.

There was only one file as far as opening the wrong file so that isn't an
option.  The information was gone, but it was only the photo information
(transcriptions, date of photo, etc.) which was very time consuming to enter
because I had to use Microsoft Access and FTM2009 to get the information
from--until FTM started "acting funny" and I knew I had to close it or it
would reboot my system.  I'm used to it's peculiarities now and know when
it's going to crash and reboot.