From: "TomK" <giz...@gmail.com>
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:08:11 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Just Starting Out

Sherry,

You asked:
"When I find online information on my family and perhaps family trees that have been submitted how do I handle that? Do I download all the information and then go about trying to verify it? "

I would be careful with what information you enter into your database that you pick up from online trees that do not list sources, but I personally do include such information if it seems to help obtain clues. Two things I would suggest when you add information to your database is that: 1) You always source the fields you populate so that later you know where and from whom you recorded the information. There is nothing worse than to look at your database and wonder where you got a specific piece of information, especially if you find other records whose data conflicts with what you already have. 2) As I enter the source information, I make use of Legacy's Surety Level, and use either 1 (Marginal), or 0 (Have Not Decided Yet) to be able to later identify those entries that I'm not sure of. You can include the Surety Level when you print Source Citations in your reports. Once so entered, I then also look for supporting source documentation to verify/validate the information.
Tom