Scott Hall wrote:

> 1.  What do people put under source for name?  All
> records/books/materials discovered in which the name
> appears?  Only the one it was first discovered?
> Something else?  Nothing?

If you're asking what source(s) I assign to the person's name, mostly, I put
those sources which tend to prove the parentage of the person, like census
records where the person is listed as a son in the father's household, or a
will in which the person is named as an heir.  I certainly don't put every
single place I find the name.  If the person is usually found in records as
John, but I find an odd record that refers to him as Johnathan, I enter
Johnathan as an Alt. Name and assign a source to the Alt. Name.

> 2.  When using a published lineage book as a source
> (such as the many
> family genealogy books published in the 19th century), in
> which a
> family line may go on for multiple pages, do you attach
> each fact to
> the particular page it was found, or simply use the page
> range for any
> and all facts (e.g. pp. 102-5)?

I always put the specific page where I can find the data I'm entering.  If John
Doe's birth date is on p. 102, that is the source detail (page #) that goes in
the birth date field.  If his death date is on p. 103, then p. 103 is the
source detail for the date of death field.

You want to be able to easily find where you found a piece of information, and
for your readers to be able to do the same thing.

> 3.  What do people use the "Unspecified" source line
> for?

I never use it.

Connie