Hmm... His method seems to work for me.
I displayed an event "census" on an individual, copied the event to the
clipboard, closed the event, added a new event, pasted from the clipboard,
added a "2" to the name (census2), and clicked on save.  A popup box asked
"Is census2 correct?".  I clicked on yes, then saved everything, went to
View, Master Lists, Event Definitions and "Census2 was now there.

Curiously, the sentence definitions, while there, are different from the
sentence definitions for "Census" (which I had modified).
They are of the form
[EventName]: [Desc], [Date], [Place].[Sources] [Notes]