The "standard" is going to depend upon what style manual you use.  AFAIK, the
Chicago Manual of Style, for example, still requires periods after
abbreviations, but not with initialisms or acronyms (e.g. PDF files), or with
pluralizations of abbreviations.

I suspect if we actually checked all the style manuals and with various
publishers or editors, we'd find the majority continue to expect to see periods.

Connie