From: Jenny M Benson [mailto:ge...@cedarbank.me.uk]
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:19 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Using Clipboard? Clarification

On 14/10/2010 03:51, Kirsten Bowman wrote:
> Those who are just beginning to use the Source Clipboard may be a
> little confounded by some confusing terminology.  When creating a new
> Master Source you're given the option to add Text/Comments via a tab
> on the "Add A New Master Source" screen.  This is*different*  from
> the Text/Comments tab offered on the Source Clipboard.  If you wish
> to have a Master Source that can be used, for example, for different
> families living in the same area in the same census year then you
> would enter the Text/Comments on the Source Clipboard rather than
> with the Master Source.  This maintains a generic Master Source that
> can be used repeatedly for different families simply by changing the
> Text/Details on the Clipboard.

Rather than offering clarification I think you are confusing the issue.

There are two places where you can add Text/Comments to a Source -
either at the Master Source level or at the Source Detail level.  When
you copy a Source Citation with the Source Clipboard you copy every part
of that Source, which may or may not include Text or Comments in the
Master and/or the Detail.

You cannot add data to individual fields directly to the Source
Clipboard, which is what you imply.  You have to copy the complete
Citation and paste it in place and then add or delete any Text/Comments
as required.

Text or Comments added to a Master Source should be fairly generic and
relate to *all* instances of that Master Source, whereas Text or
Comments added to a Source Detail will be specific to the Individual(s)
to which the Source is attached.
--
Jenny M Benson