What do you mean by "tool?"

If you mean a website, of course I would cite the website.  Just like I would
cite a book, a manuscript, an FHL microfilm, or any other object or "tool" that
may or may not be in existence in 200 years.

If I didn't cite the website, I might leave the impression I viewed the
original birth register instead of a database or a set of images.  My
conclusions may or may not be accurate depending upon the source (and format of
that source) that I actually used.  Not all images are equal: some US census
records are, for example, more readable on FamilySearch than on Ancestry (or
vice versa).  And not all images look exactly like the originals:  pages may be
missed; changes of ink that are obvious on an original may not be discernable
in an image, notations in the margin may not be visible, etc.

Connie