Jane,

I'm with Ron on this.  I never link anyone where I don't have substantial
evidence, generally from more than one source, that A's father is B.  I use the
Note feature to explain my suspicion, and make very clear it is only a
hypothesis.

When I have several possibilities, I not only use the Note feature for A, but I
enter B, C, and D as unlinked and develop research plans for each using the "To
Do" feature.  I haven't found this to be a problem at all, so long as I have
Notes for all four unlinked individuals that cross-reference each other.

Connie