On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 13:27:38 -0400, Jerry <jerrysemailgro...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hello everyone.  Has anyone on the list ever seen where Legacy would
>embed invisible dates that show up when you do a SEARCH and REPLACE, but
>when you go to the record, the dates are simply not there.  I'm sure it
>has something to do with the gedcom import I got from my cousin to
>combine with our master tree.  I thought maybe it was the date modified
>or date imported, but that is not it.
>
>What I'm doing is to put in the search function to SEARCH and REPLACE
>(without actually doing the replace) for EVENT-DATES where the date
>contains 2010 anywhere in the field.  I get quite a large number of hits
>such as 8 September 2010, but none of the records has those dates in the
>record anywhere I can physically see.  Weird thing I would like to get
>to the bottom of.   Thanks, if you can help.

Jerry sent me his database off list.

I looked at the example of a Search & Replace that he sent. It found a
date of 26 August 2010. There WAS a marriage event for that individual
with that date. So the date is NOT invisible. I can see it in Legacy. So
this is not a problem. Jerry just forgot to look at marriage events.

As to Jerry's 2nd problem...

>Another facet to this problem (and why I started to do these searches)
>is that there are some dates that do show up, such as 27 August 2010,
>etc., but they are attached to EVENTS that are completely blank.  So, I
>simply delete them, but I'm not sure how I can globally delete them
>because there is no event name.   Everything is blank except the dates.

He has a bunch of marriage events that are pointing at IDET=1. IDET=1 is
a reserved record. There should be no rows in tblER that point to
IDET=1. I looked at the GEDCOM that he imported his data from. It was
FTM as I recall. I loaded this GEDCOM into Legacy 7.5 and went to one of
the couples that had the bad marriage event (IDET=1). It imported fine
and the marriage event was assigned IDET=59, which was the event type of
"Record Change". Jerry's file with the bad event did not have a event
type for "Record Change". The only way I could cause this to happen in
Legacy is to go to View|Master Lists|Event Definition and combine the
"Record Change" event type with the blank event type at the top of the
list. The fact that Legacy lets you do this could be considered a bug
and should be reported.

I know what Jerry's next question will be ... but I'll wait until he
asks it. :-)

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools/index.htm

NOTE TO LUG USERS: Use plain text if you want me to read your post.