On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 23:53:53 -0500, "Lee Irons" <leeir...@cox.net>
wrote:

>Of course. Another way to accomplish enhancement #4 (and make a much more
>efficient database) is to reconfigure the data structure of the database so
>that a single source citation/detail record can be linked to any number of
>events in any number of individuals and marriages.  So, when I link a source
>citation/detail to an event that is pasted to twelve different individuals,
>when I go back to change something in the source citation/detail three months
>later, I only have to change one source citation/detail record referenced by
>twelve event records, not twelve source citations/detail records referenced by
>twelve event records.  This would be a major change to the way Legacy works
>(no more need for a source clipboard), and so would probably be a big pill for
>Millennia to swallow.

Not only a big pill to swallow for Millennia, but for the users who are
used to it working the way it does. When you change it you would have to
pop up a warning that it will also be changed everywhere else, and maybe
even have to offer the user the opportunity to "break" that shared
citation into separate citations (in case the user only wants to change
it for one individual and not the others).

I remember discussing this on the LUG in my 1st couple of years on the
LUG (and I've been here 9 years). It's probably not going to happen. The
best you can probably hope for is a better search/replace to make things
easier.

--

Dennis Kowallek (LTools/Custom Programming)
http://zippersoftware.com/ltools/index.htm

NOTE TO LUG USERS: Use plain text if you want me to read your post.