Until the organic act, the District was made up of two counties and
three towns ....Washington and Alexandria counties, and the communities
of Washington, Georgetown and Alexandria so until the mid 1870s it plots
out just as it would for any other location with the District in the
state slot.

Of course Alexandria and the "Virginia" portion of the District were
ceded back to Virginia - and at some point (I forget exactly when)
Georgetown was merged into Washington. Washington county was dropped and
the District became its own county. And that is when things don't look
as if they fit into the norm.

I have quite a few D.C. families from its founding and settlement in the
1790s to the early 1900s. They are an interesting lot to find because
many of their records never ended up within the District in the first
place. Many preferred to file many of their formal papers in the
adjoining Maryland or Virginia counties which presents its own problems
when trying to indicate that while a will was filed in Montgomery county
for an example, they were actually D.C. residents.

Now what about the U.S. territories?  How do those read?  I actually
have a couple of those to deal with.

Jackie