And I found boxes asking whether to overwrite or not.   Click on merge,
select your profiles click merge, and the backup reminder in that window
offers the two options.  There are also boxes for the options of "always".
You might know which one I chose.

I just put someone on the merge, did nothing about the second person,
closed it and the undo merge option is even then under edit.