This is my first experience with a GEDCOM, so I am not sure where the problem
is. The GEDCOM was sent by a distant cousin in Poland. We rely on electronic
translations which can be problematic enough, so I at least want get my facts
right before contacting him again.

I downloaded the GEDCOM into a new family file. The vast majority of
individuals are shown as “unknown” but some have dates of birth or death.
There are no names of places for anyone in this file.

Could these problems be caused by Legacy not recognizing names of individuals
or places containing Polish diacritics? The only names of people displayed are
German (without diacritics) from ancestors who emigrated to Poland in 1784.
This may however be a coincidence- I have previously tried pasting
letters/characters with diacritics into Legacy notes and the only thing that
happened when saving the information was that letters with diacritics were
automatically substituted with other letters or symbols.

My understanding is that GEDCOM is an international program and handles all
languages. It appears that the sender uses “MyHeritage” web based software,
which seems to be an international program where the user selects their
language.

Just before downloading the GEDCOM, Legacy showed only two “Unrecognized
items”: MOON and PRIN. Later, Legacy showed there were many “unrecognised
lines” for both “Individual Records” and “Family Records”, which were placed in
the notes. For example:

BIRT: RIN MH:IF438

DEAT: RIN MH:IF439

RIN MH:SC109

Technology is not my strong point, so I hope someone can help me solve this
“mystery”.

Regards,

John