Here are some hints to help the PPs work for you and not against you.

The first thing you need to do it go to Tools > Potential Problems and set your
preferences.  You can skip the Records tab, that is for when you want to run a
report.  Look at the Warnings, Problems, Standardization and Gaps tabs.  Review
the selections to see if there is anything you want to change.  The "Gaps"
warnings is more for new researchers.  Seasoned researchers know to look for
these gaps automatically.  They know that they can signal either an unknown
child or possibly a second marriage.  I have the Gaps option completely turned
off.

Here is another thing you will want to do to decrease the number of potential
problems.  If you use any events that normally occur AFTER someone died
(Cemetery, Obituary are two common ones) you will want to exclude these from
the Potential Problems checking GLOBALLY.  Go to View > Master Lists  > Event
Definition.  Highlight the event and then click Edit over on the right.  At the
top of this box you will see some check mark boxes.  Make sure you check
Exclude from Potential Problems Report.

Another thing that will cut down on PP errors is to globally sort your children
and then tell Legacy to sort the children as you enter new ones (you can also
do this for marriages and events but those two don't flag as errors)

To globally sort...  Go to Tools > Other Tools > Sort Children, Marriages, and
Events.  Check mark the ones you want to do and there you go.  Now we need to
set it in the Options menu.  Go to Options > Customize > 2. Data Entry
2.2 When Adding New Spouses, Children, and Events (gbl).  Set your check marks
here and now you are finished.

You don't want to let the Potential Problems to get too far ahead of you.  If
something is not a problem then mark it as such right then (hover over the PP
icon and follow the directions that appear in the box that pops up).  I would
also run a global report from time to time to check on the outstanding ones
that you haven't cleared yet (Tools > Potential Problems, this time go to the
Records tab)

Michele
Technical Support
mich...@legacyfamilytree.com