On 19 May 2014 10:38, Cathy Pinner wrote:

> Expand a folder that has zip files in it, click on a zip folder on the left
> pane, see the fdb file in the right - click on it and open.

That's where I was going awry!

I tried your 'method' using a program of my own that I have developed for
FreeREG, and when a file was selected from a ZIP 'folder', the actual path name
of the selected file was this:-

G:\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Y0OJJQP8\NFKCNSBA[1].CSV

This bit (G:\Temporary Internet Files\) is where my IE 11.0.8 keeps its' cache
of temporary files.

The Content.IE5\ subfolder is a historical hangover and nothing to do with which
version of IE is installed.

The Y0OJJQP8\ subfolder is a Windows-assigned temporary folder, and would vary
by usage.

The name of the file inside the ZIP file does _NOT_ contain the [1] suffix. That
has been assigned by Windows. It's worrying that a non-existent file with this
name format can be opened at all.

I think this could very well be classed as a 'bug' or an 'unwanted feature'.
Nobody in their right find is going to keep their family history in the IE cache
area - it can be cleaned out too easily. So, perhaps Legacy should look out for
this IE cache are and not open anything from it. Also, it should probably
prevent any file being saved with a suffix matching the pattern above. Finally,
it should not open a file with such a suffix.

--
Regards, Mike Fry
Johannesburg