On 04 Aug 2014 16:12, mime wrote:

> I am hoping someone can guide me thru on how to add a father.  In the early
> 1900's, Mary had 7 (and counting) illegitimate children.  I have been able to
>  find the first name of the father for one of the children, and a common
> father for 2 of the other children. The problem comes when I try to add the
> father's name, it assigns the father's name to all the children.  If I try to
> unlink the father from the other children it wants to unlink from both mother
> and father.  So how do I add a father to only one child of an existing
> family.

First, forget the children for now!

You have two named fathers and probably a third, unnamed father at minimum.

I would first of all create the 3 basic relationships of the mother. These are
marriages but they're not, if you see what I mean. Now add or link the children
for which you know the fathers to the correct couple. The rest of the children
get linked to the couple with the third, unknown father.

--
Regards, Mike Fry
Johannesburg