My legal birth certificate given name is J.M., Two capital letters, Two
periods, no spaces. For years, most software prevented entering that.
Worst was my application to the University of Michigan, instructions
said to use (only) after each initial on the application form for a name
with initials only, so I was listed as "Jonly Monly". Also started most
grade and high school classes with an arguement with my teachers! "What
is your real name?"  Not the best way to start a new relationship. Many
more stories!

I usually use the "Birth Certificate" name as the primary name for most
people in my data, then enter the alternate names, which allows me to
find them in my data with those names also.

Jay Ingalls