If he acted as your father and raised you, I would be very tempted to
list you as adopted but then add a note that although he raised you, he
never did the paper work to make it a legal adoption. A lot of people
were raised that way before there was a legal adoption process. And a
lot of people are assuming they are tracing their ancestors and they are
not for that reason.

Also, add the data you collected for his ancestry to FamilySearch.org
and Ancestry.com and Rootsweb. No sense wasting all that effort, and it
will help someone else in the future.

Have you done the FamilyFinder test at FamilyTreeDNA.com? You might be
surprised.

Jay Ingalls