Some of the recent messages have prompted this more general question I have
about how to enter "names" for unknown persons in Legacy, particularly for
persons with no known given or surname.  This situation typically arises for
a female with no known surname, for whom I have information about her
parents that I want to record and have in the database when (if) I find the
missing names.  I also need parents for siblings to be linked, even if their
surnames are unknown.

I have always used ??? as the unknown given and/or surname for a person.
Legacy warns me against doing so, but allows me to do it.  However, if I
leave both fields blank, Legacy will prevent me from saving the person.

For me, ??? seems to work well, but I've often wondered why does Legacy (and
other geneaology sources) warn against the use of a questionmark in a name?
Are they just referring to the practice of trying to show uncertainty about
a name - i.e., John Smith?.  I don't do that.

Donald Quigley

Escondido, CA

Quigley Doyle Family Tree

http://www.donquigley.net