This is a pretty big topic but I will nutshell it best I can.

RINs and MRINs are assigned by the program.  These numbers are necessary for
database type programs and you can either use them to your advantage or you can
ignore them, your choice.  Some people like to use the RINs or MRINs as part of
their paper or electronic filing system.  I don’t.

Ahnentafel numbers are the standard numbering system for Pedigree Charts.

The Register System and the Modified Register System (NGSQ) is what you will
see on Descendant Book Reports.  Why? Because these are specific formats used
in The Register (the journal put out by the New England Historic Genealogical
Society) and the NGSQ (the journal put out by the National Genealogical
Society).  These are accepted standards for this style of report and if you
want to submit a genealogy to a society for publication one of these formats is
what the society will probably ask for.

The Dollarhide system, the Henry system, the d’Aboville system, the de Villiers
system and others are expansions of the Ahnentafel system so that more family
members are included.  The Ahnentafel system only accounts for the direct line
ancestors, no siblings.  I personally would never use any of these because they
make sense to very few people.

I use Ahnentafel numbers for Pedigree Charts and I use the NGSQ for Descendant
Book Reports and that’s it ☺

Michele
Technical Support
Millennia Corporation