Michael,

Depends on what you are looking at. For the problem that started this thread, I
would use a spreadsheet and start listing the different John Smiths across the
top with dates down the left column.  Under each John Smith I add what source
information (including relationships and locations) that I know about him with
the date of each source listed on the left.  I continue adding John Smiths
across the top for any source that I can't for sure tie into an already listed
John Smith. By the time I've listed all the sources that I can locate, I can
usually sort most of the records into particular individuals.

You can export almost any set of data into a csv format and pull it directly
into a spreadsheet program like excel.

Anne

Sent from my iPad