From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of Cathy Pinner
Sent: July 29, 2016 7:23 PM
To: Legacy User Group
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] how to get started

Excellent advice about backing up from Brian.

One correction: the Legacy backup is saved to whatever drive you choose. I
choose to backup to a folder in Dropbox, so yes it is on the same hard drive,
but minutes later, it is also in the cloud safe from a disaster to my computer.
I also periodically back up to external drives.

Cathy

Brian Lightfoot wrote:

And as Cathy said, do the File – File Maintenance – Check/Repair
often. How often depends how often you use the program and just how
much data you add each time you use it.

But there is one more bit of advice that I always tell people. Make a
backup! Not only a backup created within the program which stores it
on your same hard drive but create a backup copy of your .FDB file and
store it elsewhere such as another computer’s hard driv e or burn it to
a DVD, or save to an external hard drive, or even send it to the
“cloud” especially if you have access to your own web space that can
accommodate it. There is only one thing that I can guarantee you that
will happen in the future: your hard drive WILL crash and fail. You
could lose all data on the hard drive. I always thought it’s a good
idea to burn your genealogical data to a DVD once every 6 months or so
and then lock that DVD up in a safe so that burglars or other
calamities don’t leave you empty handed.

Brian in CA