In addition to the excellent GEDMatch site, if you are willing to spend the
time to watch the YouTube clips and learn how to use it, Genome Match Pro is a
brilliant program that takes the whole autosomal DNA matching to another level.

Elizabeth

From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of gerry...@gmail.com
Sent: Monday, 19 December 2016 3:09 PM
To: 'Legacy User Group' <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: [LegacyUG] However ..... RE: Question regarding the DNA feature in
Legacy

Dear Legacy users who are interested in DNA tests for genetic matches:

Counter-Point to Cathy’s response to Crystal and other Legacy users who have
autosomal DNA test results:

It’s simply not useful or practicable for anyone to place Mb of autosomal DNA
raw data into a Legacy event, since it would not serve any purpose (that I can
see) to use for comparing DNA-sequence matches, because Legacy and its
integrated FamilySearch database do not yet support autosomal DNA tests to
evaluate possible genetic relationships; i.e.,

1.       I participated in the mentioned AncestryDNA webinar hosted by Geoff
and (not an insult, just factual) a not-so-expert colleague, where they viewed
his AncestryDNA autosomal results; however, (as stated above) Legacy and
FamilySearch do not support autosomal DNA test results yet, so this webinar was
not very practical for most Legacy users, and it had only partial rudimentary
information that most AncestryDNA users (except brand-new novices) would
perhaps find useful, which is more clearly and completely discussed in
AncestryDNA tutorials and at other better DNA analyses websites.

2.       AncestryDNA is very limited and a relatively poor DNA analyses
service, since it has no genetic analyses tools (like chromosome browsers
offered by other DNA analyses websites), and it uses fixed undefined genetic
matching algorithms that have resulted in highly variable results with
potential matches over short time periods. For example, I have 4 family
members’ autosomal DNA results at AncestryDNA, which have changed dramatically
or even totally eliminated valid associations with close relatives’ “Circles”
(~ triangulated genetic matches of 3 or more closer relatives); this is most
likely due to AncestryDNA’s undocumented subjective changes in math algorithms
used to report autosomal DNA sequence matches due to more restrictive and
conservative criteria (which tend to omit valid genetic matches, such as
previously appeared in many of my prior Circles of close family units).

3.       Experienced DNA analysts often report, and I fully agree from long and
broad experiences for multiple reasons, that the best current website to use
for autosomal DNA evaluations is GEDmatch.com; FamilyTreeDNA.com is usually
considered second best, 23andMe.com follows, then a newcomer is MyHeritage.com
with fairly good autosomal DNA matching and a huge European database of family
trees, and AncestryDNA is in last place for helping to best determine genetic
matches from autosomal DNA results.  The main reasons for this ranking of
usefulness and relative success are:

*         GEDmatch has many powerful DNA analyses tools, where you can match
either or both your uploaded autosomal DNA results (GEDmatch does not provide
testing services, just good DNA analyses) and/or your family tree relationships
that you upload for FREE from a GEDcom file; their chromosomal browser and
graphical presentations of results with clear definitions are excellent, and
they allow you (with appropriate explanations, caveats and warnings) to
customize selection criteria for genetic matches that can really help determine
if you and a particular individual share DNA sequences in the same segments of
a specific chromosome, or not – very valuable tool, along with the 2-D and 3-D
chromosomal browser graphics and simple matrix reports plus detailed
triangulation tools and much more.  Maybe this sounds complicated, but GEDmatch
makes it quite easy to use and understand what you are doing and why and what
it means in terms of potential genetic matches; again, a stark contrast from NO
such tools or similar information provided by the meager AncestryDNA.

*         FTDNA costs $39 to upload your autosomal DNA, and they have some good
DNA analytical tools – especially their Family Finder and a chromosome browser;
they are sponsored by National Geographic, and they now offer the most
affordable autosomal DNA tests at $59 during December (else the tests cost $99)

*         MyHeritage just began to let members upload autosomal DNA for FREE,
and they contract with FTDNA to analyze and report potential matches back to
members in their family trees; however, they have no tools to conduct more
detailed genetic match evaluations

*         23andMe has a good long reputation, but has focused more on
specialized and less informative tests (to use for genetic matching of closer
relatives) such as Y-DNA, X-DNA, and mt-DNA that have more specific and
narrower uses that some genealogists and researchers use; FTDNA also has
emphasized these specialized non-autosomal testing, and only in recent years
have autosomal DNA test results been able to be used more successfully to help
identify potential relatives vs non-relatives (lab methods and math formulas to
report autosomal DNA results continually change)

*         AncestryDNA has had the cheapest autosomal DNA test prices for
several years of ~$89-99, until FTDNA’s holiday offer this month for $59 vs $99
normally; however, AncestryDNA has no DNA analyses tools and relatively naïve
support staff, plus most importantly is that their genetic match results and
demographic origins are not very consistent or accurate (changing over short
times, relatively large margins of accepted errors in results vs other DNA
testing services, etc.)

I wish and am waiting for Legacy and FamlySearch to incorporate autosomal DNA
test results into their databases and software to help match up closer
relatives, which I hoped the soon-to-be-released LegacyDeluxe v9 might support;
LegacyDeluxe v8 has existing data-entry fields for non-autosomal DNA results,
of mostly “haplo-groups” derived from Y- and X- or mitochondrial-DNA tests,
mostly supported for older DNA analytical service companies that are becoming
out-dated or have gone out of business (as far as I can tell, when checking out
their websites).

Current Bottom-Line: anyone wanting to get the best value and productive
results from their autosomal DNA tests should import them into GEDmatch.com and
FamilyTreeDNA.com, where you can also upload your GEDcom files with family tree
information and then use customized searching to better evaluate potential
genetic matches; you’ll be amazed at how much more and better autosomal DNA
information can be readily obtained for free or low cost at these websites (vs
uncertain and frustratingly questionable matches reported by AncestryDNA) –
remember, FTDNA has its autosomal DNA tests on sale for $59.

Dr. Gerry H