I would love to know what the problems, considering that MS Word is a
corporate level word processor and has been used to produce documents with
over 1000 pages of text, graphics and pictures.

I have not come across a document that could not be produced in MS word.

When trying to put high resolution pictures, the only issue is the size of
the image, considering you are usually working with 8.5 x 11.5 sheets of
paper.  The higher the resolution the more time it takes to print.  When
embedding an image in a document, a 150-400dpi image should be fine.
Anything with more resolution is typically not needed.

Do you really need the higher resolution, or you just want it?

Pete