Thank you for those responses,  I do not auto merge but I still have
problems telling which Angus belongs to who and so have the same problem
manually.    I am fairly accurate and careful but every now and again I
notice that one of the supposedly Permanent Rins has been merged.  I was
looking for an easy way out.

Ian