On 16 Mar 2017  Cathy wrote:

> As far as I know 23andMe's DNA test is also autosomal.
> Autosomal test results are MB not a few numbers.

Cathy is correct, as usual.  23andMe's test and the current test from
Ancestry are both autosomal (at-DNA).  The raw data from just one of
these tests results in a text file of over 15Mb and contains about
600,000 lines of data.  Why enter that into Legacy when Legacy has no
use for it?  Legacy will never use it for anything.  The same goes
for Y-DNA STR results which are stored in Legacy.

Gmail George wrote:

> I received 23andMe as a gift and, reading their documentation, it
> seems they also provide results (raw data) for Y test.

23andMe's raw data does indeed include Y test data (if a male) and
also mitochondrial (mt-DNA) test data.  The resulting haplogroups are
also provided, but in the "old" or "long" format.
Note that 23andMe's Y data are SNP values and these are not
compatible with the "old" marker tests that Legacy accepts because
those are STR values.

As Cathy said, create an Event in Legacy to keep track of who tested
and what tests they took.  Unfortunately this will not colour-up
Legacy's DNA icon.   :-(

If you want to do something with your raw data then do yourself a
favour and upload it into both GEDmatch's and Family Tree DNA's
databases to get additional matches from their databases -- this
costs nothing!  GEDmatch's research tools are also better than those
provided by the testing companies -- Ancestry doesn't provide any
research tools!

I believe Legacy got off on the wrong foot with the DNA features.
And then when suggestions were made by me and others to make some
changes to it these were ignored.  The only data that should be
entered for each testee are the haplogroups (with perhaps a typed-in
testing company name), and Legacy's DNA section should permit this no
matter which testing company -- there are about a dozen!  It also
needs to be possible to enter other DNA tests taken, even if only for
a single SNP.
Legacy then needs a feature to copy the haplogroup values up the
family tree's biological ancestors -- Y-DNA up the patriline, and
mt-DNA up the matriline -- showing who the original testee was.  A
problem report would be generated if two of these merged and didn't
match.

Luc has attempted to add some of Legacy's missing DNA features into
Legacy Charting but he is limited in what can be done at that point.

Hope this all makes sense and doesn't muddy-up the DNA waters even
more.

Cheers! -- Dave N.

--
  David Naylor, Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada.
     HARTRUM/HOTRUM One-Name-Study