On 2 Apr 2017 at 1:27, Jennifer Hardess wrote:

> I am trying to tidy up my locations / place name list. I notice that if I only
> have 2 or 3 names in a sequence e.g. London, England or Horsham, Victoria,
> Australia I end up with a comma or two before the place in the master location
> list. I have my Master location list starting with the Country e.g. England. I
> need advice as  to how I can eradicate that comma. Is there a "standards list"
> I can refer to somewhere? Especially for England...do I add the county name or
> whatever? I have tried looking up the place name on the internet e.g. using
> Wikipedia but often "Hundred" or borough is quoted in the information. I am in
> Australia & it is very confusing, & time-consuming! Thanks, Jen Hardess Sent
> from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

I think that is a left-over from PAF, a now-discontinued genealogy program
porduced by the LDS Church.

Early versions of PAF has four fields for place names, and tghey recommended
that you use the 4th one for the largest entity -- usually country, and the
first one for the smallest entity in the place name.

This led to endless confusion.

What is the smallest entity?

In the case of a baptism, it might be the name of the church. So I would
enter "St Meubred's, Cardinham, Cornwall, England" and the program would
object that puncuation isn't used in place names.

But now FamilySearch (also run by the LDS Church) wants "United Kingdom" as a
bigger unit than England -- just at the time when the United Kingdom is
threatening to break up over the question of membership of the EU.
FamilySearch has also "standardised" on some weird (and erroneous) place
names.

In Legacy the choice is up to you. You can use the commas or omit them, and
if you use them you can tell Legacy to omit them in printed reports. As far
as I know you can have as many as you like.

So, in the case of a baptism I could enter:

"St James, Winscombe, Winterstoke, Somerset, England, United Kingdom"

and Legacy wouldn't object.

If I wanted to do a search by Hundred, though (in this case, "Winterstoke",
there might be a problem if Winterstoke is not always in the third "field",
and if that field is not left blank when there isn't a Hundred (as in other
countries).

But again, I think it is no problem for Legacy -- you just search t6o see if
the place name "contains" that term.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: sha...@dunelm.org.uk