You need to decide for yourself if you are going to conform to the four-field convention for locations, or not. There are good arguments for both.

I'm a non-conformist in this regard. I use as many commas as are needed to record the place I have at hand at the time, and I don't use commas to mark an empty field. This means I have locations recorded with variations in the number of fields, including simple a country:

England
New Zealand

or just a region/county and country:

Yorkshire, England
Waikato, New Zealand

or even down to a street address (since I choose to not use the Address fields in many cases):

126 Mays Road, St Albans, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
125 Great Saffron Hill, Holborn, London, England
4 Wellington Court, Albion Road, Hammersmith, London, England

When you're looking at the Master Locations, you can choose to sort right-to-left (smallest unit first), or left-to-right, which is very handy for grouping together all the locations in the same country, then the same region/county/state (depending on the country in question).

Have a think about what YOU want to see in YOUR database, and work from there.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Wendy