Hi

        For editing I find that Notepad++ is very good at playing around
with regex, tabs etc.

        But, if I really want to restructure the lines I find that Excel, or
its equivalent, is much better. Just import the text file, without
reformatting since Excel will probably make wrong choices.

        Then put a new column at the front and fill it with a set of
sequence numbers - A1 -->1, A2 =A1+1 and then copy down to the end (Ctrl-D),
select column A and copy it, then paste back in as values. Each line has a
unique line number that you can use to recover the file in order after you
have sorted it.

        You can now sort the file, including the sequence numbers, and
decide how you need to process each part of it. Usually best to split each
section into multiple columns, as needed. Remove any rows that you don't
need, like headings.

        Once you have restructured the lines, just resort the file on the
sequence number. Depending on what you want and how you split the various
types of lines you can then merge rows together (only a few clicks).

        This has been my method for manipulating data files and reports for
the last 25 years. Excel is not just a tool for calculations, it an
extremely powerful tool for data manipulation and structure.

Regards

Chris