You do not say which id number you want but all the numbers you can add to a person are always visible in the edit screen, they are not optional. Since that is where they are added they have to displayed with their input box. If you mean the internal Legacy RIN that is displayed in the title bar of the edit screen, it is automatic and cannot be changed. This has not changed in Legacy 9.

In Legacy 8.0 the numbers you can add are User ID, AFN (Ancestral File Number) and Family Search ID. In Legacy 9.0 they have added Find a Grave ID to this list.

Brian Kelly