It is not an issue unique to Legacy 9.0, you have never been able to resize the columns in the name list window. The only control you have is in what is displayed; (you can select all 9 tags or only 3), you can turn off display of the hints and potential problem icons. Those choices are in the Options button at the bottom of the window.

The only other alternative is to change the width of your Name List window which will make more room for the Name. The details of the selected person can be shown using the detail tab, is that what you mean by needing to "hover" over each?

Using Options > Customize > View section 8.1 you can elect to include birth and death years after names in the name list (and other displays). That could help you identify your Cargill (and other surname) individuals.

Brian Kelly