Hi Cliff

I just wanted to update you and the group the outcome of this.

First of all I was pleasantly surprised that my request for a refund was met
with no resistance at all. The agent said she would initiate it and a few
hours later I got an email from MyHeritage saying the refund was issued.

Unfortunately for me over the few days or so it took for the banking
processes to be complete, despite the fact My Heritage gave me a full
refund, the foreign exchange rate had dipped and I ended up with just over
AUS$20 less than I paid. This was probably compounded by the fact that there
was a weekend in between as I was debited on a Friday and credited on a
Wednesday. I also suspect it had something to do with the different buying
and selling rates for foreign exchange the banks mysteriously employ. I can
live with this.

I still don't think it is right that MyHeritage doesn't warn you about an
upcoming auto renewal. Current Australian consumer laws deem this
unacceptable as they do the non-transparency around their auto renewal
policies.

My tip to take from all of this is that no matter what sort of contract you
enter that may have an auto renewal - magazine subscription, Christmas Club
hamper plan (I don't have one but apparently Australian consumers have been
caught out with this) or any other subscriptions - to check immediately you
subscribe if there is an auto renewal opt out you can initiate.

Regards,

Jennifer