Thanks to all for your responses.

I was close to my grandparents, who lived in the house my father was born in
until their deaths in 1971 and 1977.   There were no family members nearby this
small Indiana town, who might be babysitting for a 21 month old toddler.
Perhaps neighbors?  Possible, I guess.  But it still seems that he would have
been listed as a member of his parents household. (?)

I never have heard of my father being a sick child.  I have many pictures of
him with parents at 1 and 2 years of age, and he certainly appears healthy.

So it is a mystery, and I do love mysteries, so will continue to pursue.
Thanks to all for enlarging my considerations!

Sent from my iPad