On 04-Jun-18 02:20 PM, Bonnie Hamer wrote:
Just joined this group and beginning to add information in Legacy.  So a newbie to genealogy.  My first inclination was to make 2 separate family files - one for my paternal side and the other for my maternal. However reading though some of the posts, it sounds like there should only be one file beginning with me (a single, never married, no children).  Any thoughts of why this should only be one file appreciated.

Yes, it is very much recommended that you keep all your family in one file. Later on, when you are more experienced, you will be able to split off a section of the file if you wish to do so for some reason (eg to give a copy to someone who is only interested in one branch of the family.)

If you have 2 separate files you will have to enter all your details in both files if you want to express relationships to yourself, include yourself in Reports, etc. Likewise, anything relating to your parents' marriage will need to be duplicated likewise. Also, it is just possible that one day you will find some relationship or connection between someone on your mother's side and someone on your father's side. (I have found at least 2 instances of relations from different sides of my family living near each other and have speculated whether they knew each other and I like to make a note of this when entering, for example Census information: something like "Jane Doe, my mother's 2nd cousin once removed was living in the same street.")

Incidentally, if you come across someone you are not sure is related, you can enter them into the same file as an unconnected person and then link them up or discard them later when you have more information.

--
Jenny M Benson
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/