From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of Cathy Pinner
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 8:07 AM
To: Legacy User Group; Gloria DeSousa
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Cloud Storage

Gloria,

You've mentioned 3 completely different tools the cloud offers.

Carbonite is a true backup system. Its equivalents are Back Blaze and iDrive,
etc

Dropbox is a convenient way to share files between your own computers and with
other people you choose to share a file or a folder with. Secondarily it's an
out of the house backup but shouldn't be your only backup. Because any change
you make in the Dropbox folder on your computer syncs/overwrites/deletes what
was in the Dropbox Cloud. Its equivalents are Google Drive, OneDrive, etc

Evernote is primarily for Note taking, for storing things you clip from the
web. Yes you can add files to a note and to that extent it is "in the cloud"
but that's not the primary purpose.
The magic of Evernote is the search so you can find things easily. If you have
one of the paid versions the search will also include PDFs and Docs you have
added and text on images.
You can group notes via tags or put them in themed Notebooks - but the key is
you can find things again with a simple search.
You can also set reminders on tags so you can save something and make sure it's
not completely forgotten by adding a reminder. For genealogy I use it to save
things that are probably relevant but I need to do more work to be more
certain. I also use it for things I know are relevant but I haven't got time to
enter into Legacy properly at the moment - either because I really should be
doing something else OR because I'm trying to keep focussed on a particular
task but have tripped over this other interesting thing I don't want to lose
sight of.
There is an excellent book for how to use Evernote for Genealogy. It's called:
How to use Evernote for Genealogists by Kerry Scott. I have it as a Kindle
E-book.
(There's a good Facebook group called Evernote for Genealogists but I guess
since you are here and not on the Legacy User Group Facebook page, you don't
use Facebook. Note however that you can use Facebook just for the myriad of
useful groups and lock down almost everything.)
Its equivalent is Microsoft's OneNote. They work a bit differently and each has
their fans.

Cathy

Gloria DeSousa wrote:

Has anyone had experience using Evernote for their cloud storage? My
genealogy library recommended the free version of Evernote over
Dropbox but I haven't found it easy to use. I gave up using it last
year, and can't remember why exactly. I rely on Carbonite for
everything on my laptop. Is DropBox better than Carbonite for
genealogy or anything else for that matter? I also have an external
hard drive that I use for backup, but only every few months rather
than daily, because it's either too old or I'm too old to figure out
how to have it backup automatically. I know how important it is to
have cloud storage, and would like it done seamlessly.

Thanks,
Gloria

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 9:56 PM, Cathy Pinner <genea...@gmail.com