Fascinating and scary,  I have tried several things with gedcom files and
most fail or at the very least are confusing.
I sortof gave up using them except within legacy to legacy transactions.
 I am now concerned about passing on data in the future so look forward to
any reports on this topic

My files are getting to be huge, and I already have problems sharing data
with Mac users.

Ian      (The other)

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 7:11 AM Ian Thomas <il.tho...@outlook.com> wrote:

> There is a Windows Store app for PC called GEDCOM Validator, which I
> decided to install in order to help a researcher in the UK who thinks his
> software has stuffed up its database when exporting a .GED to send to me.
> Unlikely, I thought.
>

> My UK comrade  isn’t greatly “computer literate”, and is using a version
> of Family Tree Maker – which he reckons caused his data loss.
>

> Has anyone tried this – GEDOM Validator, by Chronoplex Software  - free,
> at Windows Store.  ??
>

> I am using Windows 10 – it may require Windows 8 or higher (not stated),
> it was released July 2017.
>

> Legacy Family Tree handled the .GED import well enough – it baulked at a
>  couple of over-long person names, etc but the import to a new, blank
> Legacy file seems very good. And I have looked at the raw .GED with a text
> editor to fix the few obvious errors.
>

> On the other hand, the Validator tells me it has 7631 compatibility issues
> with the 16,869 lines in the .GED file – using its “best Practice” mode;
> less (25821) when using just “Standards only” mode.  There is only ONE line
> marked as an ERROR and this is due to the codepage.
>

> (Other errors  are flagged for the file not being GEDCOM 5.5 compliant, as
>  warnings or ecommendations, and for using codepage Windows 1252. )
>

> Ian Thomas
>
> Albert Park, Victoria 3206 Australia
>

> --

> Archives at:

  ICMac Sales:     Hobby consultant (1986r.)
Office hours:   10:00 Am - 5:00 PM  most days
              Macaulay Genealogy
                 Family Matters
      Ian Macaulay    of Carp, Ontario