Robin,

I typically indicate those as:

/Baltimore County, Maryland, USA/

This, to me, indicates that they live within a county, but not inside of any incorporated town or city. I use this if I know for a fact that they did not live within a city or town, otherwise, if the town is unknown, I indicate it this way:

/, Baltimore, Maryland, USA/

This shows that I do not know exactly in which city or town they lived.

This is keeping in mind that I work backward on the locations, where the last term is the Country, then the State, then the County, then the City or Town.

So, if I knew someone was from Maryland, but didn't know the county or city, I would note it as:

/, , Maryland, USA/

All of these formats I use have been show to be compatible with Legacy's Geo database.

Ciao,

Christopher