Hi Dennis and Gary,

What is your definition of ‘sync’?  Are you wanting to work on your tree (same
file) from two computers? Or are you backing up to another location and wanting
to keep that file updated?

I doubt that any of the family tree programs will the ability to work with one
common file from two (or more) computers.  (That would be a multi-user program
and, even then, the file would have to reside on one computer) So, you would
have to have the same program on your secondary computer and simply copy the
files to that computer.  You do not have to a backup/restore, you could copy
the .fdb file (assuming changing only the data and not adding pictures). If you
make any changes to the tree then you would have to copy the file back again to
the main computer.  Many people do this using a USB drive. This is handy if you
are going to another location and wanting to have your tree with you and make
changes to the file.  On your return you would copy the file on to your home
computer and continue to work on it from there.

If you want to ‘sync’ the file on your main computer to another (backup) file
then there are many programs that can do that. But that is only a backup file.
If you backed up your main file to your secondary computer then any changes
made to that file on your secondary computer would not be reflected on your
main computer and that file would be overwritten on the next backup.

If you are wanting the ability to work on one file from two computers that can
be accomplished especially if the two computers are on the same network and
both are on.  What I am saying is – it is possible to access the program (and
files) on your desktop computer from your laptop in your home.  Then you are
working with only one file – that on the desktop, and one computer at a time.
But this is not giving you a backup.

I keep my computer backed up to two different external hard drives.  My Legacy
file is also backed up to Dropbox and to Legacy backup.  I also routinely back
up to a SD card and keep it in my safe. I do a quick copy of the .fdb file
before a Compact File or Check/Repair. I am in the process of installing
another internal drive on my desktop and I will either set it up as Raid 1
(where the second drive is a clone of the first and all files are continuously
updated) or I will use Acronis to do incremental backups of all files.
Overkill? Maybe. But I have been doing this for 40 years and have never had a
serious loss of data.

Bob