I have a NAS on my home network and all my files are there in a common
folder. I have previously tried two clouds (Dropbox and OneDrive) and both
slow things down noticeably. The other issue I have had with cloud drives
is occasional weird program issues that need more than the file maintenance
tools to fix (index errors as I recall). Key is to make sure you only have
one instance running at a time. With files on my NAS, I get a warning
when I forget and use a second PC. Also check all your settings are the
same - especially locations but also the starting family file. I now always
prompt for the opening file at startup after putting some new edits into an
older version. Fortunately search can find modified dates. And as always,
have a good backup plan.

JTF
Gmail account