I have a setup similar to John's.
I have two machines: one for Daily use and one used on Travel.
I have a NAS installed at home with redundant hard drives.
The NAS can be accessed from the WEB (Double PASSWORD Protected).
The NAS retains the last edited version of the my data file.

When I finish updating my work data, on either machine.  The Machine will
automatically update the modified files on the NAS.
When I power on either my Home or Travel machine,  the first task the
machine performs is to sync with the NAS.
This makes sure that I am always working with the newest version.

In addition, both system will  automatically backup the machine to the NAS,
daily.