Margaret,

This is an issue that some people encounter and not others so it's very difficult to know what the solution is. Some people find it helps to turn off the PP alerts and the Hints in the Name List and to only show 3 tag columns on it. It would be great to know the cause. It often starts happening after a Windows Update so an extra restart or two of the computer may help. Unfortunately no active beta testers experience the issue as far as I know. I know I encountered it once but it was gone again without knowingly doing anything special.

Re using the Name list to find people instead of the Index View. Do you know you can customise the columns in the Index View and indeed save sets of different columns that can be switched with a couple of clicks? I always use the Index View to find people. I can pick out the James Cooper I need from a list of them very quickly (I have over a screen of them and over a screen of John Cooper's as well) as I usually have a Relationship column and a Preferred Spouse column as well as combined birth/baptism column. I have another set of columns that includes parents ...

Cathy

Margaret Gagliardi <mailto:megsge...@gmail.com>
Sunday, 13 December 2020 2:48 AM
Thanks Sherry,
I had done that a couple of weeks ago, but since I had been trying the guidance given me this a.m., I did it again.  It definitely speeded it up, so thanks for your advice.  However, I still have the same issue.
Margaret

Sherry H <mailto:hot.rod.w...@gmail.com>
Sunday, 13 December 2020 2:03 AM
I haven't been following this closely, but did anyone suggest doing File > File Maintenance > Check Repair?

Sherry

Margaret Gagliardi <mailto:megsge...@gmail.com>
Sunday, 13 December 2020 1:49 AM
Everything is fine as far as Windows updates etc goes.  I have used Legacy for years and never had this issue before.  It began about a month ago or so and is just driving me crazy.  There must be something that is causing this.  Everything else is working just fine. Anyone else have any ideas?  I will try anything and truly appreciate all your ideas.
Margaret

Wanda Handberry <mailto:wandh...@hotmail.com>
Sunday, 13 December 2020 1:28 AM
My only other suggestion is to check Settings on your computer and see if there’s a Windows Update that is downloading or installing.  The last two updates rendered my old laptop almost unusable until they completed. It could be a background anti-virus scan if your computer was off for a long period.  If  I’m working on something important, I’ll Pause Windows Updates and tell my Anti-Virus program to not do background scans. Good luck.  I know this is frustrating.

Wanda