Norma,
I wouldn't make another file at all. The floating ones that may or may not belong to your family are doing no harm. I have a heap of unconnected individuals and groups in my file. However if you want a separate file, the directions I gave will certainly include the spouses of the actual descendants. It will include the whole connected tree.
Cathy

Norma Heaton <mailto:ndzhea...@gmail.com>
Monday, 5 April 2021 11:37

Thank you both for your suggestions, but is that the only way to do this?  Or is there an easier way?  This was a very prolific family, the starting family had 10 children & succeeding generations had 6 & up to 14 children.   The total number of persons in the initial file is about 550, and I have only traced his descendants down to his great-grandchildren.   The extraneous people in the file are ones for whom I found a will & or deed & I added them to the file in the hopes that I would be able to fit them in somewhere down the line.   I do want to include spouses of actual descendants.

Norma

*From:*LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] *On Behalf Of *Cathy Pinner
*Sent:* Sunday, April 4, 2021 8:19 PM
*To:* Legacy User Group
*Subject:* Re: [LegacyUG] need help

Norma,
As Chris says, this should be an easy task provided you don't have wrong links between people in your family file. Make sure you have tagging on at Options > Customise 1.5 or if you've been using tags, that you have a clear tag and you know which one it is. (Right click on a tag box to open Advanced Tagging and the bottom section will tell you how many people are using each tag. Additionally it will tell you what you used them for, if you filled that in.

Go to View > Tree Finder and make sure you click Refresh. Then the largest connected tree will be the one you want. Highlight and tag the entire tree of the highlighted individual

Then you export that tag group. You should be exporting to a new Legacy file if you want to keep using Legacy for this group. File > Export to > Legacy file. The first thing that opens is the dialogue to name your new file for the export process is actually importing into a new file. Then choose the option to export just the tag group. Read the whole screen and choose other options if you want. If you really want a Gedcom to transfer to an online tree or another program, the step you missed was to choose to only export your tag group. There's a Record Selection button.

That will achieve your aim provided you don't have bad links between people in your current family file.

Cathy

Chris Hill wrote:

The question is whether you have made links ie children or spouses
between them or not. If not they should in separate trees. You could
start at the top of the tree and then tag everyone who is a dependent
of them. Then you should be able to extract just them and their
spouses. Alternatively just tag the major tree, excluding the other
ones, and tag it so that you can extract them.

If you have made links which are potentially wrong, you have the issue
of identifying them and removing them.

Regards

Chris

On Sun, 4 Apr 2021, 21:54 Norma Heaton, <ndzhea...@gmail.com