My condolences on your loss.

To address your questions about preserving his work in Legacy. The easiest way to do this would be to create a backup of his data and media files and write those to a CD/DVD or save them on a memory stick. You could include those with his hard copy paper files.

The beauty of Legacy is that anyone who wishes can download a free copy of the software and use it. The free version has no restrictions on size of file nor on how long it can be used. What the paid version adds are bells and whistles that make the software more useful like the ability to create PDF copies of reports, additional views of the families like descendant view. The legacyfamilytree.com website has a comparison between the free and paid deluxe version here: https://legacyfamilytree.com/DownloadLegacy.asp

Speak to the Historical Society, they may have the ability to open Legacy files if they have a library/reading room with computers which already have Legacy installed. If so they can restore your father's files on their computers for access by patrons.

The legacy software has no passwords or other security features that would interfere with access to the data in his Legacy files.

Brian Kelly