The HEIC is Apples version of High Efficiency Image File Format.  It is not
as accepted as the tried and true JPG format.
The following is copied from https://backlightblog.com/iphone-heic-to-jpg

Microsoft has released a codec called HEIF Image Extensions
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/heif-image-extensions/9pmmsr1cgpwg>,
which will allow you to view and open HEIC files. Once you have it
installed, your computer will see HEIC photos just like any other image
file. But the codec is only available for Windows 10, so if you’re running
an older operating system, then you’ll need to use one of the apps below to
convert your pictures.

Hope this helps